Monday, April 27, 2009

High Five to Brutus

By Devon

When Brutus killed Julius Caesar I felt like he also killed Shakespeare. I do not like reading Shakespeare. How is a high school student supposed to appreciate that type of literature?

In the tenth grade I had to memorize a section from the play Julius Caesar and say it in front of the class. To me it was boring and torture. I was ready to find Shakespeare’s grave and curse him for writing all those plays and books. In the ninth grade the class read Romeo and Juliet. I remember telling my teacher, “The book would have been great if all the boring drama was left out and all the exciting fights and dying was the only thing to read about.”

Although my freshmen English teacher showed us the recent Romeo and Juliet movie, which was not the greatest, I appreciated that he tried to have us enjoy Shakespeare. My sophomore teacher did nothing to make the topic interesting. Maybe now since I am older I might enjoy it if I try reading it. But every time I hear the name Shakespeare I want to say, “Okay, next topic of discussion.” Hopefully the professors of the English 475 and 476 (Shakespeare) courses can make the subject more entertaining than my tenth grade English teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment