Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Things They Teach

There are many books I have read that moved me, enthralled me, and made me tick,yet I have to pay tribute to "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Burnett wrote two books that tickled my fancy as a young girl, "The Little Princess" and "The Secret Garden". I was given both as presents for birthday occasions from my parents. I remember both books were lenghty and had hard covers with glossy, beautiful sleeves covering them. This made them seem like an expensive and rare treasure to me, and I imagined thatmy father went to very far lengths and spared no expense in buying them. I felt like the richness of the books told me that I was special and important. I felt like I was a princess when I received them.

The central characters in both books are young females who are without fathers for some reason or another and have also lost their mothers to unfortunate circumstances. Both young girls are well-behaved, slightly timid, and are left to learn about the world on their own. Both girls are scared and lonely. Yet, they rely on their brains, their imagination, and their ultimate faith in mankind to overcome the evils of humanity and hopelessness. These books taught me that it is alright to be alone and scared. That perseverance and hope can create miracles. And that fantasy can become reality if you believe hard enough in it.

Books were held at great importance in my household. My mother loved reading and instilled an appreciation for all literature in my sisters and I. I often received gift certificates for books or music as gifts for the holidays. My mother knew I held a special affinity for reading. She took me to local bookstores for author readings and signings. She also searched high and low for the newest books by a favorite author of mine, Gary Paulsen.

I recently read "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, which is about a platoon of American Soldiers in and after the Vietnam War. I am very intrtigued by the subject of war, but it is usually difficult for me to deal with the subjects that accompany it. The images and emotions haunt me, and I often stop reading books in the middle of the story. "The Things They Carried" so moving that I could not put it down, cannot stop thinking about it, and cannot wait to read it again. The book tells the story of war from a human point-of-view. The title is indicitave of all the material items the individual soldiers carry, but also the emotional and mental burdens they carry. I feel it is our responsibilty to try and learn the human side of war, from anyt side. "The Things They Carried" helps to stimulate a small glimpse of understanding, compassion, gratitude, and honor for all veterans and all who sacrifice for their countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment