Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Power of Books

By Devon

While growing up I remember reading many books, but the book which I remember the most is Animalia. As a child I loved animals; I still enjoy animals, but when I was young I loved looking at pictures of different creatures. One day my mother game me a book and when I saw the cover of Animalia I went crazy! There were so many animals and when I opened it, it made me even more excited. It was a book about the alphabet which had animals for all the letters. There were alligators, dragons, gorillas, tigers, zebras, and many more. I still have the book and look through it.

My parents love books and have a small library which my brothers and I enjoyed looking through. As a family we would read scriptures, sing songs, and read other books together. What I remember quite vividly was when I was five years old, I asked my father, “Where do babies come from?” He went to the family library and grabbed a small gray book which was titled, “Anatomy.” I then learned how babies were made in great detail.

Recently I finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I am working on reading all seven books in the series because fantasy is my favorite genre. I love reading about giants, trolls, goblins, dragons, and magic. One of my favorite books is The Hobbit. I enjoy these kinds of books because they take me to a world which I wish I could be a part of; to be able to go out on an adventure, camp, fish, hunt, and to survive on what nature has to offer. That is the power which books contain and provide to their readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment